The parents meeting will be Tuesday, 10/25, at 8pm during the troop meeting.
In addition, the bike ride will be next Saturday, 10/29. Details will be discussed at the meeting.
Finally, all scouts that sold popcorn should bring their popcorn forms, along with any money collected, to the meeting on Tuesday. If a scout is going to sell past Tuesday, Chris will need to have the forms turned in by Friday, 10/28.
I apologize if this post is long, but there is a lot of information that I need to pass on. The following will be a combination of what the PLC (Patrol Leaders Council – the boy leaders of the troop) decided, along with some addition information that the boys, and families, need to know. Please read this carefully, as parental feedback/volunteers are needed for some of the dates.
- Saturday, Oct. 22 or 29: 15 mile bike ride (for Cycling Merit Badge or whoever else wants to go). I need at least one more volunteer to ride along with the troop. The date will be determined by which Saturday we can get another volunteer. This person can be an adult sibling also As for departure time, we would leave at either 9am or 1pm (depending on availability of adult volunteer).
- Friday, Oct. 28: Popcorn order forms are due. If you are not going to sell past next Tuesday’s (10/25) troop meeting, you can bring it to the meeting. Hopefully, scouts are taking money with the order (if you forgot to collect it, bring what you have collected).
- Sat. Nov. 5 & 12: Scouting for Food. Nov. 5 will be flyer handout and Nov. 12 will be food collection. Both days need lots of help. Last year, scouts & parents who could help met at the Lutheran Church of Peace, and it went from 8:30am – Noon. Scouts should wear their field dress shirts.
- Sat. Nov 12: Next Step Training @ Pecatonica High School in Pecatonica, IL from 8:30 am – 5:00pm. This is adult leadership training on a variety of topics. In addition any scout that wants to get trained to be a Den Chief can be trained also (I will be leading this training). Cost is $15 (before 11/1, $20 after & at the door) per participant (registration and information can be found atwww.blackhawkscouting.org ). Since I am going, I will be willing to carpool with adults and scouts who want to attend.
- Sat. Jan 7: Dubuque Fighting Saints. Game is at 7:05pm. Registration is due 12/28. Game ticket $5. scout package $30 (we will be registering as a troop).
- Sat. Feb 4: Merit Badge Midway @ UWP. This will be 1-day (same as last year) from 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Fri, Feb 10 – Sun, Feb 12: Electronics weekend @ Camp Lowden (Boeger Lodge). Details provided at upcoming meeting.
- Sunday, June 25 – Saturday, July 1: Summer Camp at Canyon Camp
- Tuesday, Oct. 25: Knot relay, knot & lashing review, making a useful camp gadget, Personal Fitness Merit Badge
- Tuesday, Nov. 1: Start preparing for Backpack Campout, mini stove usage/maintenance, menu planning. This is also the end of the 12 weeks for the Personal Fitness Log for those who started on Aug. 9. Bring completed log with you to turn in. Need to set date to do final Personal Fitness test.
PLC Planning Meeting Summary
Month Theme Merit Badge Outdoor Activity Camping
October Knots/Lashings Personal Fitness Bike Ride (Oct 22/29) None
November* Cooking ***(Family Life ) Hike Backpack
December** First Aid ***(Personal ) Emergency Response Matador
January Citizenship ( Management ) Skiing Cabin
* We are planning a Webelos/Arrow of Light scout invite during November
** We will be having a Court of Honor at the Mining Museum in December
*** During the Months of Nov-Jan, we will work on Family Life and/or Personal Management Merit Badges
I wanted to pass along the following, which were announced at the meeting last night:
- Anyone who wants to help work on this year’s haunted house should show up at Art Hall (big shelter at Legion Field by the sand volleyball courts) any week day (Monday-Friday) after 6pm or on the weekend if someone is there (not sure the hours).
- For anyone working on the Personal Fitness Merit Badge, we will be taking a progress test on Saturday, 10/8, at 9am at Mound View Park. Please dress accordingly. For those who cannot make that date, please let me know when you are available.
- For all Life Scouts who are beginning their Eagle Scout Project, start working on the proposal section of the project workbook (can be found at http://www.blackhawkscouting.org/Resources/Forms/Advancement-Forms ). We need to start getting approvals for the projects so that they can be started to be worked on.
We welcome Kenneth Webb as a new Scout Master in Troop 84.
We are very sad to say that Matthew has moved away. The good news is that we have 2 new members in our troop and 2-22 more coming in Jan-Feb.
Our troop is very fortunate to welcome 8 new members of our troop. We also welcome Matthew Rowley who transferred from troop 82.
The troop owns a 17 ft canoe that was stored at the home of Ron Sime but we now need a new home for it. Pease contact scout master if you have space to store it. Thanks!
Dec. 18 OA Meeting at the 1st Lutheran Church 1pm
Dec. 20 Mining Museum Troop Meeting
Jan. 6-8 Winter Camping
Jan. 28 Den Chief Training @ Lancaster Fairgrounds
Feb. 4,11,18 Merit Badge Midway 9:00-12 noon Ottensman Hall
Feb. 18 District OA Meeting at the 1st Lutheran Church 1pm
Feb. 21 Pancake Supper
April 27-29 Galina Pilgrimage
April 24-30 Canyon Camp
- Ben Bahr-Patrol Leader for the Cobras
- Jacob B.-Quartermaster
- Jordan B.-Senior Patrol Leader
- David D.-Chaplain’s Aid
- Zach B.-Patrol leader for the Golden Eagles
- Max F.-Troop Guide
- Ryan K.-Librarian
- Ashton M.-Patrol Leader for the Flaming Arrows
- T.J. K.-Historian
- Vince M.-Assistant Patrol Leader
- Ladd O. -Assistant Patrol Leader for the Flaming arrows
- Alex S.-Recruiter
- Korey W.-Web master, Scribe, Assistant Patrol Leader For the Golden Eagles